It’s tempting to consider choosing an event location you love and then, wrap the menu around all your favorite foods. But – party planning experts say when you truly consider your guests’ preferences over your own, your event will be more successful.
At Finley Creek Vineyards, we have a list of questions we ask event planners, family planners and brides as we begin to plan each event.
Here’s what to consider from the event experts at Jacquie’s Gourmet Catering, the owner/managers of Finley Creek:
- Is your group more casual or more formal? Family or corporate?
- How far would attendees be comfortable traveling from home or office?
- Is your event going to be outside or inside – or both?
- What is your budget?
- How important is the vibe (upscale, folksy, urban contemporary, trendy, barn chic, etc.)?
- What type of food would appeal to most you are inviting? Consider vegetarian and child-friendly options.
- Is this going to be a seated formal meal, or serve-yourself with lots of options?
- Do you want an open bar, beer and/or wine, or “special occasion” drinks?
Some of these are more obvious, but others are questions you may not have considered yet. It’s important to gain some perspective on your guests so they will feel comfortable at your event. Once you have established the main-frame objectives, you can begin to move on to the fun – impressing your guests.
The most memorable events at Finley Creek all did the following:
- The event location was right for the crowd. Venue size is key – not too big or too crowded.
- Had a contingency plan in case it rains.
- Set up bar and food table traffic flow in advance. Nobody wants to stand waiting for a drink for 15 minutes.
- Arranged for convenient and adequate parking.
- Set a theme – from color to food choices to décor.
- Added a few unexpected touches to delight guests get talked about.
- Never run out of food. This is a cardinal rule at Jacquie’s Gourmet Catering.
- Made sure food was delicious, looked fantastic, and was served at the ideal temperature.
At Finley Creek, Jacquie’s Gourmet Catering strives to iron out as many details as possible ahead of time. It’s never too early to start planning your next event! Let’s talk.