Life is blooming here at Finley Creek!
The grounds of Finley Creek Vineyards is every bit as glorious and charming as the interior of our Wedding Barn. That is especially wonderful to consider if you are looking for a place to hold your late spring or summer wedding reception.
Because Finley Creek Vineyards is just outside of Northwest Indy in lovely Zionsville, our property is private and lush, well away from the hubbub of suburban and city life.
We are always looking for new ways to add to the ambience of our beautiful grounds. Last year, we added two beehives way in the back – away from our buildings – to help keep our planned flower and vegetable gardens fertilized, healthy and thriving.
This spring, we are planting hosta, astilbe, anemone, hellebores, foam flower, coral bell, and stargazer lilies around our stately oak trees.
Not only will the flowers smell amazing during outdoor events and receptions, but they will look stunning, too. We chose flower varieties with flower timing in mind, so there will always be something in bloom no matter what early spring or late summer month you choose for your gathering.
Finley Creek Vineyards will have a grape arbor, too. Those plantings will go in soon, as will new vegetable gardens. The bees will be happy …and busy. Soon, we’ll be harvesting honey from the flowers’ nectar as well!
Also new this year at Finley Creek – a lovely outdoor stone fireplace – perfect for intimate gatherings around evening bonfires.
There’s a lot to like at Finley Creek, both inside and outside. We invite you to come visit this exclusive Jacquie’s Gourmet Catering venue. Whether you plan your event for inside or out -- or both -- we know you are going to have a delicious and memorable time!
Spring & summer wedding reception ideas
At Jacquie’s Gourmet Catering, we love to plan spring and summer wedding receptions. The world is in bloom, warm and in love… such a lavish and bountiful time to get married!
There are also so many, many different ideas and themes to choose from when you are planning a wedding reception in the warm months. We enjoy working with the bride and groom to create the right feel, theme and the vibe for the event – and the ideal food and drink, too.
Here are Jacquie’s spring and summer wedding reception tips on how to bring the lovely color and warmth of the season into your big day:
- Have your wedding outside under our gazebo at Finley Creek Vineyards. There will be plenty of flowers all around in our lovely spring and summer gardens. Bonus: You won’t need as many bouquets and flower arrangements. Nature will provide quite a few on its own.
- Take your color cues from nature with bright reds, brilliant pinks, and vivid lavender, purples, greens and yellows. Don’t limit your color choices to the wedding tuxes and gowns. Extend the colors to invitations, lighting, bridal bouquets, table centerpieces, and especially, food and drinks!
- Foods can be bold or subtle, outrageously spicy or refined. Maybe a little of both. If you want formal, we can go with the classics like standing rib roast, brisket or lamb chops. Or make things bright and off-beat with easy to eat sliders or Szechuan pork barbeque. We can do whatever you want.
- The biggest dinner trendwe're seeing right now? Interactive stations. Couples are moving away from a sit-down multiple- course dinner where the food is served by wait staff. Instead, we’re seeing couples add longer cocktail hours and include multiple self-serve food stations. Not only can this be less expensive, but it encourages interaction among your guests. Some station and small plate foods we like? Sliders, chili bars, beef brisket sandwiches, pork tenderloins, mini grilled cheese sandwiches, and steak/chicken/veggie fajitas bars.
- Get creative and fun with what you wear. Have the bridal group slip into sequined tennis shoes under their gowns -- and high tops under their tuxes.
- Evenings get still be cool in early spring. Add heaters along the path to the reception facility. You could also drape comfy blankets over the back of chairs or have a fire pit for later in the evening.
- Dessert bars? Everyone’s favorite. Merengues are colorful and yummy. Individual sized cheesecakes, tiramisu, even ice cream cones… be as fun as you want.
- Bring the outdoors, in with brilliant spring flowers in centerpieces. Lots of greenery keeps things grounded and fresh. Consider plants in flower pots as giveaways.
- How about a specialty coffee bar to go with your wedding cake? Have serve-yourself specialty liquor toppings, fresh whipped cream, and lovely fresh peppermint sprigs as garnishes.
- Wedding signature cocktails are fun. Name “his” and “hers” drinks… after your best man, or your college mascot, or your dog’s nickname. Have fun with it. Your guests will love it.
No matter what you choose for your spring/summer wedding reception, let’s meet to get things booked and begin getting a feel for your ideas early. Jacquie’s Gourmet Catering can bring your wedding ideas to life in all kinds of ways, keeping foods fresh and organic, sustainably and locally raised, and always… delicious.
Jacquie’s Strawberry Whiskey Lemonade
Now's the time to get creative with what’s in season, especially lush flavorful berries and fruits. Mix your fruits with red or white wine for a lovely sangria, or add rum, gin, vodka, or even whiskey.
Here is one of Jacquie’s favorites – frequently served here at Finely Creek Vineyards. It's especially great at an evening gathering outdoors, under the stars. This one is so delicious, you may not need to serve a dessert.
Jacquie's Strawberry Whiskey Lemonade
1 cup sliced strawberries
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
- Stir together strawberries, sugar, and water in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Bring strawberry mixture to a low simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until strawberries have softened and sugar has dissolved (about 15 minutes.)
- Remove saucepan from the heat and let it cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Strain syrup into a bowl or measuring cup through a mesh strainer to remove the strawberry pieces (Jacquie recommends saving them for smoothies or jam later in the week.)
ASSEMBLE THE COCKTAILS:
1/3 cup strawberry syrup (see above)
2/3 cup whiskey
2/3 cup lemon juice
(optional) fresh strawberries and lemon slices, for garnish
- In a large shaker, combine strawberry syrup, whiskey, and lemon juice with crushed ice. Shake to combine.
- Pour whiskey lemonade over ice into drinking glasses.
- Garnish with fresh strawberries and lemon slices, as desired, and serve immediately.
Add this summer refresher to your next gathering at Finley Creek Vineyard, or at your next summer backyard barbecue. Enjoy, from the folks at Finley Creek and Jacquie's Gourmet Catering!
Barn weddings & outdoor receptions are here to stay
There’s something breathtakingly romantic about timeworn wooden planks and high vaulted ceilings strung with electric lights and crystal chandeliers hanging between the rafters…
The popularity of barn weddings continues to gain momentum with couples looking for a memorable casual-rustic experience. Barn wedding parties can be as casual and country, or as lavish and extravagant as a couple wants it to be. They are no longer limited to DIY chalkboard signs, mason jars and garden flowers.
Today, barn weddings are a blank canvas where couples can get creative and set a tone based on individual preferences. The diamond-in-the-rough characteristics that come with a care-worn barn allows brides a perfect backdrop to design a wedding that is an authentic reflection of the couple.
Finley Creek Vineyard is the perfect country chic setting for a lovely barn wedding and/or reception. When Finley Creek gets all dressed up for a wedding party, something magical happens. The setting sun peeks through the rustic barn wood here and there. The serenity of the Zionsville countryside is palpable through soft breezes, birdsong, and the sweet smell of wild flowers from across the fields…
and Jacquie’s Gourmet Catering artfully prepares sustainable, farm-to-table gourmet foods, from appetizers to desserts… the aromas pulling all comers in for seconds and thirds.
We fully embrace couples making a statement with their individual styles. You’ll find no cookie-cutter weddings here. Jacquie’s Gourmet Catering creates a culinary experience for their guests, and our brides and grooms love it! They really want their friends and family to have fun. And that comes naturally within the barn setting with fire pits, outdoor spaces for yard games, lovely wild flowers growing on nearby hills, and newly planted grape vineyards on the horizon.
There is just something about attending a Finley Creek Vineyard barn wedding that tells guests they are going to have a good time! We hope you will come join us for a tour and see what we mean.
~ The Jacquie’s Gourmet Catering team, Exclusive caterers for Finley Creek Vineyards